Are Neon Pothos Toxic to Cats?
Neon Pothos is on the toxic list of houseplants, along with other pothos plants. The toxicity comes from the insoluble calcium oxalate crystals found in the plant. Ingestion of the plant will lead to irritation of the mouth, tongue, throat, and stomach.
How Is Neon Pothos Toxic to Cats?
Neon Pothos contains calcium oxalate crystals in the leaves and stems of the plant, making it toxic to cats. These calcium crystals can cause intense burning, irritation, and swelling of the mouth, lips, tongue, and throat if ingested by cats (along with humans and dogs). When a cat chews on or swallows the plant, the calcium oxalate crystals are released in their system and can cause significant pain and discomfort, in the mouth area and the stomach area. This can lead to symptoms such as drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing. The severity of the toxicity can depend on the amount of the plant consumed and the cat’s size. Although neon pothos is not considered highly toxic to cats, taking precautionary measures to prevent any potential poisoning is essential.
How Poisonous Are Neon Pothos to Cats?
Neon Pothos is considered mildly toxic to cats. The severity of the toxicity can depend on the amount of the plant consumed and the cat’s size. The calcium oxalate crystals found in the plant can cause oral irritation and pain, leading to drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing. In severe cases, it can cause swelling of the mouth, tongue, and throat, which can make it difficult for the cat to breathe. It’s rare for neon pothos toxicity to be fatal, but it can still happen. Most cases of poisoning can be resolved with prompt veterinary care. If you suspect that your cat has ingested neon pothos, it’s imperative to seek immediate veterinary attention to prevent any potential complications.
Symptoms of Neon Pothos Poisoning in Cats
If a cat ingests part of a pothos plant (devil’s ivy), they may show a range of symptoms that can vary in severity depending on the amount of the plant consumed and the size of the cat. Always look at your plant for bite marks/nibbles to verify they have ingested it versus it being a symptom of something elese. Symptoms of neon pothos poisoning in cats may include:
- Drooling / Excess Salivation
- Pawing at the mouth
- Uncomfortable due to a burning sensation
- Difficulty swallowing
- Loss of appetite
- Swelling of the mouth, tongue, and throat
- Liver failure (in severe cases)
- Breathing difficulties (in severe cases)
Cats that have ingested a small amount of the plant may only experience mild symptoms such as drooling and pawing at the mouth. However, if a cat has consumed a significant amount of the plant or is allergic to it, they may experience severe symptoms such as breathing difficulties and swelling of the mouth and throat. If you suspect that your cat has ingested neon pothos no matter how much, take them to the veterinarian immediately.
What to do If Your Cat Consumes Neon Pothos
Take your cat to the vet right away. Once you arrive at the vet, the doctor will examine your cat. Based on the cats symptoms and the amount consumed, they will treat accordingly. It’s crucial to provide your vet with as much information as possible about your cat’s symptoms and the amount of neon pothos they may have ingested. This will help the vet to determine the best course of treatment for your cat.
The vet may treat your cat with dairy products, like cheese or yogurt as this has a soothing effect from the toxins in the stomach. After the dairy products, your cat should be more comfortable. They may do a gastric lavage, which is a stomach wash to remove the toxins from the cat’s stomach. Benadryl may be given to keep the swelling down. If your pet is not vomiting, they may induce vomiting to remove the plant from the cat’s system or give them activated charcoal to absorb the toxins. However, if your cat is vomiting too much, they may administer IVs to stop the vomiting and protect the stomach lining. In severe cases, the vet may need to provide oxygen therapy and other treatments to manage breathing difficulties and other symptoms.
The vet may also perform a physical examination of your cat and may run blood tests to check for any abnormalities. If your cat is experiencing severe symptoms such as breathing difficulties, they may need to be hospitalized for further observation and treatment.
Once you see symptoms of neon pothos poisoning in your cat, you can check their mouth and see if there are any remaining pieces of the plant in the mouth. If so, remove these pieces. Then wipe their mouth with a damp cloth. This will help reduce the toxin in your cat’s system and prevent further absorption.
In conclusion, if you suspect that your cat has ingested neon pothos, seek immediate veterinary attention. The sooner the cat receives treatment, the better their chances of recovery. With prompt treatment and care, most cats recover fully from neon pothos poisoning.
How to Keep Cats Away From Neon Pothos
Prevention is the best way to keep your cat safe from neon pothos poisoning. Here are some tips on how to keep cats away from the plant:
- Keep the plant out of reach of cats: One of the best ways to keep your cat safe from neon pothos poisoning is to keep the plant out of reach. You can place the plant on a high shelf or in a room that your cat cannot access.
- Train your cat: You can also train your cat to stay away from the plant by using positive reinforcement techniques. Whenever your cat stays away from the plant, reward them with a treat or praise.
- Use deterrents: You can use deterrents to discourage your cat from chewing on the plant. One common deterrent is bitter apple spray, which has an unpleasant taste that cats don’t like. You can spray the solution on the plant’s leaves to discourage your cat from chewing on it.
- Always keep an eye on your cat: It’s important to monitor your cat’s behavior around plants. If you notice that your cat is showing interest in the neon pothos, remove the plant from the area immediately.
- As a last resort, you can provide safe plants for your cat to chew on. This is a last resort because you do not want to tran your cat to chew on plants if you have toxic plants inside your home. However, this could be an option if they are super interested in plants. Provide them with safe alternatives such as catnip or wheatgrass. This can help to redirect your cat’s attention away from the neon pothos.
In conclusion, by taking the necessary precautions and monitoring your cat’s behavior, you can help to keep your feline friends safe from neon pothos poisoning. If you suspect that your cat has ingested poisonous plants, seek immediate veterinary attention to prevent potential complications.